Choosing the Right GPS System
Surfing for the right GPS system can be time consuming and often leads to poor results or costly mistakes. It’s important to choose a GPS system based on your needs, expectations, and how you anticipate using the system.
First, ask yourself how you currently manage...
1. Time on the job and billable service?
2. Dispatching and routing jobs?
3. Driver identification?
4. Safety and driver behavior scorecards?
5. Risk Management and collision avoidance?
6. Vehicle maintenance reminders and logs to track cost of repairs?
7. Fuel consumption and vehicle performance?
8. Remote engine diagnostics and diagnostic trouble codes (DTC)?
9. Alerts: Odd hours, DTC’s, maintenance, idle times, vehicle battery conditions?
10. Odd-hours and overtime?
11. Work hours and time cards?
12. Fleet and equipment accountability?
Second, let’s drill down on some fundamental basics...
1. GPS Carrier: VERIZON is the clear
choice when it comes to GPS data coverage. Other carriers have inferior data
coverage that often results in delayed messages, stuck locations, or out of
range notices. This problem is typically corrected by resetting the GPS device,
which requires you to disconnect and reconnect the power source.
2. Lifetime Warranties: Make sure your GPS
devices come with a lifetime warranty and the RMA process is fast and easy. You
should only have to pay return shipping.
3. No Contracts: Make sure never to
sign a contract, whether the GPS devices are rented or purchased. Technology
changes too fast to commit long term. Simply pay month to month for the service
and agree to return the GPS devices if rented when you cancel service.
4. Rent or Purchase: In most cases the
return on investment (ROI) is about two years. So, if you plan to keep the GPS
system for more than two years, always purchase the equipment. The big
disadvantage to renting is that you cannot deactivate or suspend the GPS
devices during the rental period and must return the GPS devices when
5. PNP (Plug-N-Play) vs.
Hard-Wired GPS devices: Only use a PNP device if you need remote engine
diagnostics. The advantage of using a PNP device is the installation process is
easier, but the disadvantage is the signal strength is weaker and is
susceptible to losing power due to blown fuses. A hard wired GPS device is more
reliable because it’s connected directly to 12 volts and has a stronger
6. OBD2 Splitter Harness: Always use a splitter
cable when installing a PNP GPS device. Never plug this type of device directly
into the vehicles diagnostic port because it can easily break by hitting it or
come lose and stop reporting. Also, the satellite signal strength is reduced
because of its location below the dash. The advantages of using a splitter
harness are; covert installation (hidden), improved satellite signal strength
and tamper proof.
Third, Decision Time - Scenarios
1. Single user sharing login credentials:
Accountability only. Vehicle locations, speeds, mileages, idle times, time at
location. Basic reports and alerts. Recommendation: EZ Fleet Lite Edition. Go
to Tab called EZ Fleet Tracking – Overview for product details.
2. Multiple users with separate login credentials: Group vehicles, assign drivers, dispatching, dashboards,
posted speed limits, maintenance alerts, automated reports and more. Feature
rich reports and alerts. Recommendation: EZ Fleet standard Edition. Go to Tab
called EZ Fleet Tracking – Overview for product details.
3. Multiple users in different departments with different permission levels: Needs 3rd
party system integration. Remote engine diagnostics, diagnostic trouble codes,
fuel consumption and performance, driver behavior scorecards, maintenance logs
for tracking expenses, custom maps for individual users. Recommendation: Fleet
Connect. Go to Tab called Fleet Connect GPS System – Overview for product
4. Don't know what type of GPS system I need: Recommendation: Call our Sales Department at 855-477-4787, ext. 805. Or, go to Tab called Schedule Appointments and make an appointment to chat with us. We're here to help you choose the right GPS system for your business.